Collaboration with El Zamorano University
On May 17th 2016 the agreement between the Ernesto Illy Foundation and El Zamorano University (Honduras) was signed, with the purpose to introduce the subject of coffee in the Pan Americana Agricultural University’s curricula whose mission is to develop leaders based on rigorous programs, academic excellence, learning by doing, values and character development, contributing to socio-economic progress.
The Agreement, valid for the academic years of 2016, 2017 and 2018, during which 3rd and 4th year students of El Zamorano can also register to partake in the optional module dedicated to coffee known as Asignatura Adicional de Café (30 hours). The module will be offered three times a year, once per trimester.
The Asignatura Adicional de Café is composed of 5 modules held by lecturers with a Master’s degree in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy:
1. Coffee plantation management and production Olvin Alejandro Rodriguez Valladares (Honduras) Master’s in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy 2015
2. Coffee harvesting and post-harvest Juan Alfredo Pacas (El Salvador) Master’s in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy 2011
3. Parchment to gold: grading, cupping, and preparation for exportation Stephany Dávila (Guatemala) Master’s in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy 2014
4. International markets of green coffee Mario Arroyo (Costa Rica) Master’s in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy 2013
5. Coffee roasting, grinding, extraction and packaging Marjorie Canjura (El Salvador) Master’s in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy 2013
The first course of the Asignatura Adicional de Café was held in May 2016 and the project concluded in 2018.
The Ernesto Illy Foundation also commited to offering full financial aid (2017, 2018 and 2020) to a worthy student who has attended the optional module on coffee at El Zamorano University to participate in the international Master’s Program in Coffee Economics and Science – Ernesto Illy.